Tuesday, August 2, 2011

We're all here, cause we're not all there

Gather 'round folks, it is time again for the tales of a madman on the loose. It hasn't been so long since my last post, but so much has gone on. Where to start, oh where to start...
This here (for those who haven't seen it yet) is a picture of me working on the Hyatt Hotel in downtown Phoenix. By far the coolest project I have been on at work. If the picture doesn't illustrate it well enough there is about 300 feet of open air beneath me. There is a rotating restaurant at the top of this building and it got hit bad by the big sandstorm you may or may not have heard about. Anywho, it was All-Star Weekend so they needed the job done quick. Luckily we got the bid. After each window drop I took it upon myself to drop beneath the restaurant and hang upside down with nothing but air beneath me. Ya cant help but feel alive when staring down at your own mortality.
I am also proud to say that I am now a SPRAT certified level II technician. I got the opportunity to go to Denver for another course on rope access. I passed with flying colors and went from a "rope worker" to a "lead rope access technician". So that is pretty neat. This picture is of a rope rescue. I am the one being rescued here but you can see that it is somewhat complicated.
Anyone one who knows anything about me ought to know that I can usually find some fun, even in work. While in Denver I got to stay with my sister at her new place and they were more than kind in showing me around. This is from "The Garden of the Gods". It is a very neat city park with lots of climbing to be had, though I got to do none. A storm rolled in so it gave some great colors.
While in Denver I also got to tour the New Belgium brewery, the O'dell brewery, and the Fort Collins brewery (and when I say tour the brewery, I mean, the tasting room). I also got to do some whitewater rafting and even some climbing in the Rockies. This picture here is from the hike in to our climb in Estes Park. It was a beautiful day and everything went perfect.
Here is me at the top of our climb called Georges Tree. It was one of the toughest climbs of its grade that I have ever done (as I was warned). In the background is Longs Peak. There is a big wall up there called the Diamond and yes, as I am sure you imagined, another place I intend on climbing.
Here is one more picture I got from a solo trip up the Four Peaks Wilderness outside of Phoenix. I went to do the ridge traverse but only got on half of it. The views were worth the efforts anyways. So I think that should about do it for this one. Life remains exciting and impossible to predict. In a few weeks I am heading to San Fransisco for a three day music festival with some good friends. I'm doing my best to not lose my marbles in this awful summer heat but ya cant lose what ya never had, right?

Much love,
Dan

1 comment:

  1. Hey good stuff Dan, all my old stomping grounds are mentioned: Ft Collins, Estes, longs peak, I almost dued in oak creek canyon, Flag.....very cool. Christy bavk in Flag u guys should hook up....keep living life...just got off my mtb, been cool here in MT....

    ReplyDelete